What Is Blogging? Blogging is a method of expression on the Internet. It is popular in promoting a business or making online money from the Internet.
Blogs started in 1990 in the form of a website diary. It was a way to share thoughts online with other readers. The name ‘Blog’ comes from the words ‘web log’. Blogging is the creation of articles with opinions, news, and educational material for websites. Bloggers write about their thoughts or share information while making money out of it. Blogging is nowadays in heavy use by business to promote their products and services.
Anyone can make a blog and write about anything they like and share it. The beauty of blogging is the freedom to write what you like, from anywhere around the world and make a living. You need only a PC and an Internet connection.
Blogging Statistics for 2020
- 30 million active bloggers
- 80 million blog post comments per month
- 12% increase in blogging per year
- The 3rd most popular headline start is ‘How To’
- 3.5 hours spent writing a blog article
- 1100 average words per article
- 95% more views for articles with images
- 45% of consumers ask for video content
- 40% of bloggers update their old blog articles
- 50% of bloggers edit their articles
- 35% of bloggers update articles to get better results
- 60% of bloggers make 1-5 guest posts per month
- 20% CTR increase for 6-8 words headlines
- 70% of internet content marketing is effective for SEO reasons
- 95% of blog posts promotion by social media
- LinkedIn gives the highest content engagement
Blogging is a method of expression on the Internet. Bloggers enjoy communication who give and receive help. This is the wonderful side of blogging.
It is a community of people sharing ideas, thoughts, opinions, and information. It is now popular also in promoting a business or earning money.
Blogging can be about any topic you like. Blog topics can range from news, sports, politics, marketing, food and so on. Topics can be even about blogging, blogging traffic, blogging platforms and details related. Choose the topic you like and have experience with so that readers will appreciate. Blogs have become a medium of opinions and knowledge for every aspect of life.
Bloggers can write about any topic or can focus on a specific topic (niche). Since no one can know everything, it is best to write about a topic you understand well. If you identify well with a topic, then readers will understand that and will want to read even more of your articles. Popular blogs are focusing on a niche.
Bloggers that know a subject well will do well. Blogging is a combination of knowledge, experience and good writing. While picking a niche is important, don’t get into one that few people will find interesting.
Popular Blog Niches
- Personal Finance
Blogging Sub Niches
If you want to select a niche category within the niche of blogging, then some options are:
Vlogging, Blog Startup, Blogging for Money, Blog Web Traffic, Blog Email List Building, Blog Content Writing, Blog Marketing, Blogging Themes. Imagination and demand are the limits.
Which blog niche to select?
That depends on what you enjoy most and what is your knowledge and experience. Think twice if you want to choose a niche you like but have no experience and knowledge. It might be better to start a blog on one of the main blog niches and then focus later on a specific niche. Or, plan ahead after researching what people need. The more popular a niche is, the more readers you get. That may also mean less website traffic share, especially for a new blog.
If you want to blog for money, then research and think where your income will come from. Will it come from yours or other businesses products and services promotion or ads?
Blog Article Contents
A blog web page contains these features:
- Title: The headline name of your article.
- Body: The main content of your article.
- Permanent link: The website address URL of your article.
- Comments: Allowing readers to post comments about your article.
Writing text with knowledge of content copywriting is the foundation of a blog. Choose a topic you like or have experience with and would like to share.
The style of writing varies depending on what topic you will write about. Some writing styles are:
- Reader Friendly Content: Keep your article content reader friendly so it is easy to understand.
- Article Title: A powerful headline message is very important. The benefits are an immediate readers’ engagement with the article. Misleading headlines may cause the opposite outcome.
- Beneficial: Convince the reader of the usefulness of your article. If not, then you lose the change of growing your readers and subscribers list. This also affects your google ranking.
Interesting: Grab your reader’s attention all the way through your article. Short, crisp and accurate sentences will not tire the reader.
- KISS: Kiss stands for ‘Keep It Short and Simple’. Make your articles simple and easy to understand. This is a standard writing principle. Long articles may get tiring if there is no high value. Also, they are time consuming even if it is a wonderful piece of copy. Place your thoughts in a simple, short, and thoughtful manner.
- Clear Ideas: State your ideas clearly so that it is straight forward for readers to understand them. This way, they will figure out what the article is about and guide them to the action you wish.
- Humour: Depending on the audience and content type, you may add humour to make the reading experience more pleasing.
- Jargon/Colloquialism: Writing with a friendly tone is recommended. But using unknown slang words will not transfer the meaning of a sentence to the reader. English is not the native language of all readers.
- Terminology: Avoid terminology when possible. Technical articles and tutorials might will need some technical words to explain easier an idea. Simpler words or links can follow them to explain what they are. Have in mind that you want as many readers as possible to understand your complete article.
- Keywords: Using SEO keywords in the article increases articles search ranking. Higher ranking means more website traffic. Placing them in multiple places thoughtfully is highly important. Headings and subheadings must also contain them.
- Images/Video: Image and video will enhance the reader’s experience. They help to validate article’s statements.
Add relevant fresh news and current content. Things happen so fast in the world that can make your content old after hours or months. Updating your blog article is important even if it takes take time. So think and decide on the topics you will invest time in. Researching and writing useful articles take time. It is also useful to learn how to write faster.
Creating articles two or three times per week is typical. More articles per week are better as long as there is no content quality reduction. Increasing content frequency increases Google search ranking and therefore website traffic.
Writing about products
In case you promote a product, you may need to show credibility by backing up your statements. Including facts and figures from other popular sites also gives a positive effect. Or, you add customers’ positive experiences. Writing your personal experiences about a product also adds credibility.
Maintain Readers Attention to your Blog
- Articles ideas research: Research a few successful blogs around your niche. Try to understand their article writting style. Look at the article’s reader’s comments to feel what they like.
Create a new article type each day: Alternate the topics you write to maintain readers interest. Get inspired by blogging news of the day.
Find top quality references: This will give you solid information to built a high-quality article. A reference can be an interview or a publication. Including a link to such reference will boost trust and authority. Take reference information, examine its practical use and convey personal results to readers. Instead of copying ideas from other blog’s articles, try to become an expert.
Write a ‘top 10 list’ article: That can be a top 10 news about a topic, your company or your product’s performance. Readers like lists and are easier to write.
Make your own news article: Create a fresh news article about your business new actions or product. This will draw attention to innovation. Write clear and concise articles: Make your blog article easy and straightforward to understand it. Present information in a conversational form instead of too casual.
Images and links: Fine looking images, linking out big sites and videos improve article quality.
Make sure your blog articles give a good impression. Readers with higher education will also read your articles. So, editing your article before you publish it. Proofreading is part of editing. Proofreading is correcting the language of the text. It involves checking spelling, grammar, punctuation and semantics. These will also improve article readability. Thus:
- Use a spell checker
- Use a grammar checker
- Correct punctuation errors
- Use a dictionary if not sure which proper word to use
- Use readability checkers to make your article easy to understand
- Must use a plagiarism checker to avoid duplicate content
There are online tools to help proofread your articles. You can also outsource proofreading to cheap or professional freelancers.
If your article is full of errors that will put off readers.
Pay attention to article readability. Avoid spelling mistakes. Checking your grammar with online tools is essential. Unique content is important. So, use plagiarism online tools to check always every new content you make.
People enjoy sharing opinions and suggestions. This is important to get feedback from readers to improve your articles. Commenting also increases readers’ engagement and draws the reader’s attention.
Even if your articles are excellent, you need people to read them. So, you need visitors. That means a lot of website traffic to make your blogging effective. There are many free and paid methods on how to get traffic to your blog.
Once you get traffic, then you need to get a few of your visitors as subscribers. This will ensure a guaranteed list of readers for your next articles.
Configure Google Search Console to add your blog website URL address. Add there your blog sitemap. This way Google will read your new content and give you information on your blog ranking.
Do SEO keyword optimisation so you get your articles rank high enough. SEO is the solution for a lot of free traffic in the long term.
Check your RSS feed to increase article distribution and readers. Readers prefer also using an external service to read new blog articles. Make sure your site.com/feed provides posts & pages feed without errors.
If you have well-sold products, then use PPC marketing to get immediate sales.
Blogging for Money
Blogging is now a powerful business model. Freelancers and businesses are using it to earn income through blogging.
Blogging started with journalism, but blogging for money is the latest trend. It takes a minimal cost to start up a blog business and so anyone can do it.
There are blogs that make a million dollars each year from advertising other business products.
Blogs profits come from:
- Promoting other business products.
- Selling their online business products.
- Selling their blog topic informational material
- Advertising within their blog.
Google AdSense advertising is a strong preference. Affiliate marketing programs are also common for bloggers to earn money.
Research how other bloggers make money. Not always of making money are suitable for everyone.
Making money through blogging is possible but is difficult in the beginning. You need to learn a lot about blogging, SEO, PPC, social media marketing, tools, and services. Let’s be sincere about this. Blogging is like any other work.
There are a lot of extra online work ideas to combine to profit in the Internet market.
High-quality unique content is the main factor for success. The next factor is getting website traffic.
There are endless topics to focus on. It is best you pick a niche topic. There is an overload of information on popular topics. That means less possibility to find your blog.
- Lead magnet. A lead magnet is about giving freebies to encourage readers to sign up to your email list. Freebies can be a free educational and informative ebook or a physical product. In the case of a product, they pay shipping.
- Squeeze page (or ‘Sign Up Page’ or ‘Opt-In page). It is a form of a landing page that ‘squeezes’ (collect) visitors’ email. This way you get their subscription in your email list within an email service provider
- Attention. Attractive headlines are a way to do that.
- Education. Detailed information that covers their needs.
Empowerment. To encourage and thus empower readers.
Engagement. To motivate readers to interact.
Subscriptions or sales. To get readers action.
Blog’s Professional Look
For a more professional image, you need to buy a domain and hosting. WordPress installation is easy through the hosting provider’s panel. Purchasing a professional template/theme will seriously improve your blog look and feel. Buy one with a lot of reviews. Professional themes are SEO ready and with good performance on many devices. That will affect your Google ranking.
Blog Credibility Elements
A blog needs elements of credibility to give a good impression to the reader. They will help in getting subscriptions and sales. Consider:
Professional look (logo, colours, layout, simplicity). This is important to give a first good impression to make readers engage with your content.
Company or owner name & contact details. It creates a more ‘human’ appeal and a way to contact you in case of question or sale.
Your profile in the ‘About Us’ section. To explain to readers what this blog is about and how it will help them. It also helps to remove concerns.
Links of active social media accounts. Give readers another way to engage with you. It is also a way to raise your blog’s importance.
Article commenting. Good readers comment with your replies, improve interaction. They can increase readers revisit rate and search ranking. You may need to moderate all comments even if you use spam blockers.
Articles without errors. Spelling, grammar, and inconclusive meanings will reduce readers’ attention.
Decent content language. Be polite and positive. People like nice people.
Addictive headlines. Original and compelling headlines can grab readers’ attention. It takes time to get a headline’s inspiration but it’s investment. You can use them in social media posts, forums, directories, and more.
Profesional articles images. A picture is worth a thousand words. Use online image tools to do that easier.
Reference source links. You may need to give proof on a fact you present in an article. This increases credibility and authority. Make the link open in a new window to avoid losing your reader.
Partners links with their logo. This will give a significant trust level.
Ads. If you need to use them, take care of their content and placement. Too many ads can have a negative impact.
Affiliate links. Insert with care your affiliate link. If your readers realize that your article serves to push them a low-value product, then you might lose them. An affiliate product is useful to the reader if it is useful to you.
A memorable blog name is important. The name of your blog must also stand out with a fine-looking logo. Your domain name is the same thing. Check also social media account name availability. It is best you get a Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn account with your blog name.
If you want to build a long-term business success, your blog needs a URL address that you own. Some services provide free hosting, but they add your blog name after their URL. A BlogSpot URL won’t look professional. A simple domain name is also more memorable to get the readers back again. Thus, you need to buy a domain name for professional blogging.
Blogging Platform Basic Elements
About Us page
Contact us page
Main article pages
Marketing like blogrolls, trackback, link exchanges
Advertising and/or AdSense space (if used)
WordPress is the best blog platform, but there are many hacker attempts. Set a difficult password to extra safety and change it occasionally. Make sure you make every month a backup of your blog’s database and files from your hosting server (this can save you from potential nightmares).
Various Blogging Tools
- Feed readers: They display blog articles from other blogs. This way you learn about trending subjects in blogging. At the same time, you get new information from your favourite blogs. Feedly is a practical blog feeder and can organize blogs by topic.
- Email Subscription: Some readers get only a part of your blog article through a feed reader. Give an email subscription option to receive your articles as an email. FeedBurner gives this feature for free or use an email autoresponder service.
- Blog and RSS Directories: There are many blogs and RSS directories to list in. Search tools for ‘RSS Submit’ to do so.
- Ping Service. Pinging is an automation to inform blogs and RSS directories of your new articles. If you use FeedBurner, then activate its PingShot automation option.
- Bookmarking Managers: You can save other’s blog articles to read later or share with your readers.
Blogging is not a guarantee of a stable income. There are several factors for success. It needs a plan, persistence, patience and competition research.
Blogging is like a job. You need to work hard but is enjoyable. As with every new job, it takes time to get experience. Especially in an online market with millions of ‘competitors’. Time management is crucial to make sure you are not wasting your time with less efficient actions.
Even if your blog looks good and with excellent content, you need website traffic. No traffic means no visitors and thus no sales. Making content is easy, but getting a lot of traffic is difficult.
Getting traffic needs regular posting of new articles with SEO keywords. You also need to make articles around a specific topic of your niche.
Don’t quit your day job to start a blog. Start blogging while keeping your job. Spent a few hours per week to create articles. Keep posting 1-5 times per week.
Analyse your content ranking results with Google Search Console. Check actual website traffic with Google Analytics. These will tell you if your decisions produce results. Keep reading how to make good content and how to get website traffic.