This guide contains a list of the best WordPress plugins to assist your decision. WordPress is the most popular blogging platform worldwide. There is a high demand for plugins, since there are so many users who need a solution for many applications.
WordPress use in so many niches and markets creates a need for versatile solutions. WordPress popularity increases the possibility for programmers to make money from plugins. That is why there are over 50.000 plugins are available to choose from WordPress.org.
This incredible WordPress plugins availability makes WordPress so powerful. But it takes a lot of time to find which one is the best for your needs.
(It is a good practice to back up a database and website files before installing plugins. It is best to do so from your hosting providers panel and download them with FTP software.).
5+ million active installs. Contact Form 7 WordPress plugin is the most popular and flexible contact form. It allows multiple management of contact forms. There is a high customisation level of the form and mail contents. The form supports Captcha, Akismet antispam.
3+ million active installs. Contact Form by WPForms is of the most popular contact form WordPress plugins. It allows creation of contact forms, subscription forms, feedback forms, and payment forms. Pre-made form templates make it user friendly. Easy drag-and-drop form creation with custom fields and rearrangement. Forms are 100% screen responsive with SEO and loading speed optimisation.
Contact Form Paid Version Features: Email subscription forms, multiple page contact forms, newsletter forms, membership forms with password protection, marketing forms, quote request forms, donation form, form templates, file uploads, payment integrations, advanced fields, Constant Contact, spam protection, conditional logic, Mailchimp, AWeber, GetResponse, Campaign Monitor, Drip, PayPal, Stripe, form landing pages, conversational forms, surveys, polls, form abandonment, geolocation, Zapier, signatures, user registration, post submissions, offline forms, form permissions. 150+ Pre made forms. Post submission forms ease bloggers and publishers to receive guest posts, testimonials, partnership agreements.
5+ million active installs. WordPress Yoast SEO plugin is the most popular SEO tool. SEO plugins help with a search engine optimization to increase a website ranking. SEO results in website traffic increase. It includes:
- Schema implementation to improve further SEO results.
- Advanced XML Sitemap.
- Control over websites breadcrumbs.
- Automatic Canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content.
Yoast SEO Paid Version includes:
- Multiple Keywords optimization
- Old content notification
- Internal linking suggestions while writing
- Highlighting article phrases in relation to keywords selected
- Easier old URLs redirection to newer to avoid 404 errors that affect SEO
2+ million active installs. All in One SEO Pack is of the most popular SEO WordPress plugin. Features:
- XML and image XML sitemap for Google and Bing
- RSS Sitemap
- Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) support
- Google Analytics setup
- Schema.org Markup
- SEO on custom post types
- Advanced Canonical URLs
- Attachment pages redirection to parent post
- Automatic notification to Google and Bing on website changes
- Built-in API for functionality compatibility by other plugins and themes
- SEO integration for eCommerce sites like WooCommerce
- Nonce Security
- Automatic title optimisation for SEO
- Automatic META tags generation
- Reduction of duplicate article content
- Easy to install with advanced settings for fine tuning SEO
- Overriding title, meta-description and meta-keywords
- Plugins friendly compatibility
- 57 languages
All in One SEO Pack Paid Version Features:
- Support for WooCommerce
- SEO and Social Meta for categories, tags and custom taxonomies
- Google Tag Manager support
- Advanced google analytics tracking
- Video SEO
- Video tutorials
- Support forum
5+ million active installs. WordPress Akismet Anti-Spam plugin is the most popular comment antispam plugin. It checks spam automatically in article comment and contact forms submission.
1+ million active installs. Disable Comments is one of the most popular WordPress plugins to completely disable all comments from all posts, pages, attachments. Comment items can be removed from Dashboard, Widgets, Admin Menu and Bar. Cannot disable selectively per post, page as WordPress lets you do that anyway. It also disables comment RSS/Atom feeds, X-Pingback HTTP header and outgoing pingbacks. Existing comments need deletion before using it or else they may continue to appear. Can use Delete Comments tool to do so.
5+ million active installs. WordPress Classic Editor plugin is the most popular editor with the previous classic view. Extra plugins can stretch that screen, adding old-style meta boxes. Features:
- Defining default editor for users
- Allowing users to swap default editor
- Allowing per user different editor for each article
- Filters to control other plugins settings
- Can hide functionality in the new Block Editor (Gutenberg)
5+ million active installs. WordPress Jetpack plugin is the most popular multi-plugin.
Free Version Features:
- Downtime notification
- Lazy image loading for faster website
- Website elements hosting for faster website
- Automated social media posting
- Website changes history log
- 100+ free themes
Jetpack Paid Version Features:
- Configurable complete website backup
- Automated spam filtering
- Automated malware scanning
- Automatic security fixes
- Google Analytics integration
- 200+ free and premium themes
2+ million active installs. UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin is the most popular WordPress backup and restore plugin. Backups are important to restore a website in the case of hack, update problems, bad plugin, security issues or server crashes.Features: Flexible scheduling of automatic backup of files and database. Backs up directly into Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3, UpdraftVault, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, DreamObjects, Openstack Swift, and email.
UpdraftPlus Backup Paid Version Features:
- Incremental Backups
- Backup extra files and databases
- Migrate / transfer websites
- 1Gb backup space in UpdraftVault
- Advanced reporting
- Minimise risk by backing to OneDrive, Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Backblaze B2, SFTP, SCP, and WebDAV.
- Database encryption
- Other plugins backups restore
- Lock settings access
- Download individual files from backup in WordPress
- Run from WP-CLI
2+ million active installs. WP Super Cache is of the most popular and website cache WordPress plugin.
It creates a cache of static html files from the WordPress heavies code files. This way a website loads faster. There are 3 types of configurable caching depending on visitor types. New users, non logged users and more. These 3 types are:
- Expert. It gives the fastest website speed using Apache mod_rewrite to bypasses PHP code running. So, some website changes may not appear on visitors.
- Simple. Usual recommendation. Cached static files will run dynamically by PHP. Most new website change will reflect on visitors. Prefer simple mode if not comfortable with PHP files editing.
- WP-Cache caching. It gives flexible caching with a little slower website loading speed. It caches files, URLs with parameters and feeds. This applies for visitors who login or visitors who leave comments or visitors who should see certain website details. It can cache unknown users’ visits with a disabled super-caching. Setting DISABLE_SUPERCACHE” to 1 in wp-config.php for only WP-Cache caching.
Recommended Settings: Simple caching, Don’t cache pages for known users, Compress pages, CDN support, Cache rebuild, Extra homepage checks. Garbage collection action is the out-of-date cache files clean up. May use 1800 seconds for expiry time. Consider “Rejected User Agents” text box content deletion to allow search engines to do caching.
W3 Total Cache
1+ million active installs. W3 Total Cache is of the most popular WordPress plugins to cache website data for faster website loading. Reduce also load times via content delivery network (CDN) feature.
Features and benefits:
- Claims 10x max website performance with full configuration
- Improved conversion rates and “site performance” which affect your site’s rank on Google.com
- Compatibility with shared hosting, private-dedicated servers
- Mobile respective caching of pages
- Supports Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Search results pages, database objects, fragments caching in memory or on disk
- Caching with disk, Redis, Memcached, APC, APCu, eAccelerator, XCache, WinCache
- Browser cache-control, expire headers, entity tags (ETag) with ‘cache-busting’
- Extensions for New Relic, Cloudflare, WPML and more
- Integration via Nginx or Varnish
- Security features
- Caching statistics
- Supports SSL
- Minifies HTML
- Optimizes images
- Lazy loads images
- Optimize Google Fonts
- Removes core emoji cruft
- API availability enables custom optimization
- Maximise performance with WP Super Cache, HyperCache, Comet Cache or KeyCDN’s Cache Enabler.
2+ million active installs. TinyMCE Advanced is the most text formatting editor WordPress plugin. Features:
- Importing-exporting settings to a file
- Compatibility with Classic Editor plugin for different editor view
- Adding, removing, arranging editor buttons
- Configuring four rows of buttons with font size, font family, text color, background color, and tables.
- Search and replace
- 15 plugins activation depending on buttons in use
5+ million active installs. WordPress WooCommerce plugin is the most popular payment processor. Its converts a website into an eCommerce store. Features:
- Product page, Cart page, Checkout pages
- Secure payments by credit card and more
- Shipping options configurations
- eCommerce and content integration
- Automated tax calculations
- Integration with Google Analytics, MailChimp, Facebook
- Sales dashboard with stats
4+ million active installs. WordPress Importer plugin is the most popular importer. It can import posts, pages, custom fields, post meta, categories, tags, terms from custom taxonomies, authors.
3+ million active installs. WordPress ‘Elementor Page Builder’ plugin is the most popular live page builder to setup website appearance easier. Features: Box Shadows, Hover Effects, Hover Effects, Background Overlays, Shape Dividers, Headline Effects, Animations, Gradient Backgrounds.
3+ million active installs. WordPress Really Simple SSL plugin is the most popular automatic SSL configurator. Once you install SSL certificate, install and activate ‘Really Simple SSL’ and enable SSL. Check also Configuration and Settings tabs for latest status. It is easy to use and gives an excellent result without manual configuration. Backup website database and files before using it.
3+ million active installs. Wordfence Security WordPress plugin is the most popular firewall and security solution.
Free Version Features:
- Checks core files, themes and plugins integrity
- Repairing files to original version.
- Informs user of website security problems and potential
- Informs user of potential security issues with old and non updated plugins
- Checks content for dangerous URLs and suspicious content
- Two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Login Page CAPTCHA stops bots from logging in
Paid Version Features:
- Real-time of firewall rule and malware signatures
- Real-time blocker from malicious IPs
- Checks if website IP is blacklisted
2+ million active installs. All-in-One WP Migration is the most popular WordPress plugin to transfer a website to another hosting provider. Features:
- Exports WordPress website database, media files, plugins, and themes
- Uploading an exported website with a drag and drop in to WordPress
- Unlimited find and replace on database during export while fixing serialisation issues
- No limitations on host or operating system
- Mobile device functionality
- Bypassing upload size restrictions with chunks of small data
- No hosting dependencies
- MySQL and MySQLi support
- Compatible with all PHP hosting providers. The most popular hosting providers are: DigitalOcean, Bluehost, InMotion, Web Hosting Hub, Pagely, Dreamhost, Justhost, GoDaddy, WP Engine, Site5, 1&1, Pantheon. List of all compatible hosting providers.
1+ million active installs. MC4WP Mailchimp is the most popular Mailchimp integration WordPress plugin to get visitors subscription. Mailchimp is an emailing registration and campaign service. Integrates with existing website forms (comment, contact or checkout forms). Compatibility with the plugins: Default WordPress Comment Form, Default WordPress Registration Form, Contact Form 7, WooCommerce, Gravity Forms, Ninja Forms 3, WPForms, BuddyPress, MemberPress, Events Manager, Easy Digital Downloads, Give, UltimateMember
Extra plugins compatibility with: Mailchimp for WordPress Premium, Mailchimp Top Bar, Mailchimp Activity, Boxzilla Pop-ups, Google reCAPTCHA, WPBruiser anti-spam
Mailchimp for WordPress Paid Version Features:
- Multiple forms
- Advanced e-commerce integration for WooCommerce
- Email notifications
- An easy way to style your forms
- Detailed reports & statistics
1+ million active installs. Advanced Custom Fields is the most popular WordPress plugin to add, edit custom field data and screens. You can add fields in posts, users, comments, media, taxonomy terms or in custom options pages. 30+ Field types
Advanced Custom Fields Paid Version Features: More fields, functionality flexibility
1+ million active installs. Regenerate Thumbnails is the most popular WordPress plugin to regenerate thumbnail sizes of images in WordPress media library. Useful when new or existing images must ne resized to new images dimensions defined by user. Can also delete old or unused thumbnails to save server disk space.
1+ million active installs. Redirection is the most popular WordPress plugin to manage 301 redirects, track 404 errors. This helps to reduce missing pages (404 errors) to maintain good website search engine ranking. Redirection redirects URL if your WordPress supports permalinks. Can monitor post or page permalinks change and automatically redirect to a new URL.
1+ million active installs. WP Mail SMTP is of the most popular Mail SMTP WordPress plugin to fix email deliverability. WordPress uses PHP method to sent emails. Email clients like Gmail, Yahoo deal with a lot of spam. This plugin solves this problem. It uses SMTP configuration to increase email deliverability.
1+ million active installs. Smush is of the most popular WordPress plugin to optimize post images for faster website loading. It optimizes images, resizes them, loads them while visitor scrolls page (lazy loading). Features:
- Compression without losing image quality
- Loading post images when needed
- Optimization of up to 50 images per click
- Image Resizing
- Optimizing on image upload
- Optimizing all images up to 5MB
- Optimising even non-media library images
- Optimizing PNG, JPEG, GIF
- Finding images that slow website
Smush Paid Version features:
- Unlimited images optimisation
- Original images backup
- Automatic resize and scale
- 2x Compression
- Up to 32MB images optimization
- Multiple sites images optimization
- Smush Unlimited Images
- Message customisation
- Redirects visitor to the specific page for more information
- Cookie expiry option
- Accepting notice on scroll
- Set offset while scrolling
- Accept notice on page click
- Refusing consent
- Revoking consent
- Scripts manual block
- Reloading page on notice acceptance
- Container notice position
- Text and background colours
- WPML and Polylang compatible
- SEO friendly
- Translation file available